Wednesday, May 17, 2023

A 10 Year Non Engagement

Today marks ten full years since my third and final marriage proposal. I don't know why, but every year it pops up in my Facebook memories, I feel compelled to reflect upon it. Why is it significant? Who cares? It's significant to me because it makes me think of all the lives I've lived and have yet to live still. Proposal 1 came during my childbearing years, the response to my first pregnancy when I was still a teenager. Proposal 2 came during my motherhood years, when I was a housewife, raising small children. Proposal 3 was when my children were in their early teens, and I was in the midst of buying my first house, in grad school, proving to everyone and no one how I would not be a failure. 

That last proposal came just before all of the loss. I should have been eager to accept it. I was quite literally losing everything. My fiancé could have been (and wanted to be) supportive of me during my struggles, but I could not go through with it. I didn't love him the way one is supposed to love their partner when they agree to share the rest of their lives together. I gave the ring back (like the others), and told him he deserved better than this. I hope he found it.

I definitely did. But, not without going through the absolute worst, relying solely on my small support system online and in real-life. And, eventually, I found myself digging my way out of the rubble and finding a life for myself that I never thought I had in me. It never occurred to me that I would be anyone else. The time hadn't passed yet. I was still too close to get any perspective by looking back. I read these old journal entries and see how slowly time was passing back then, how hard the healing was. But still, something inside of me must have known that I would find myself again, and what I wanted above anything else was my freedom.

When I think about this proposal, I think about how free I do feel now. I think about all the people I've met and loved in the past ten years. I can't imagine feeling like my life would have been full without having met them. I think about the interactions I've had while dating and choosing not to date, while maintaining friendships, all the ways in which I had to adjust and learn to accept (or not accept) people. I learned to find something I love about almost everyone, especially when I initially don't even like them. And, I owe it all to allowing myself to experience a life that isn't tied to just one person. 

So every May 17, I feel a little excited. I was on the precipice of making the boldest move of my life, the one that would change who I was as a person forever.