Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Finish Line

I think about all of the conventions that human beings have created to complicate life - definitions of success, dichotomies of winning and losing, strength and weakness, masculine and feminine. I find ways to limit my participation in that wherever I can. I indulge in the essential things, the real things - my experience here. Life is enhanced by feelings. And really, your feelings are the only ones that will matter to you when you cross the finish line. You will not care that you were successful in business, that you stayed in the world's finest resorts, consumed only organic food, only had sex with conventionally attractive women. You will only care that you experienced things that excited you, shook you, changed you. Everything else is stuff we've contrived to convince ourselves that we're better. That's about as hokey as it gets, but emotion is the only thing you were born with - you came into the world screaming for what you craved - and emotion is all you will carry with you on the way out. May we leave this world satisfied that we got what we craved. No one ever died pleased that they followed the rules.