Sunday, April 13, 2014

Strong, Independent Woman

I can't even explain how much I hate those types of phrases. Those "you're so strong" "you don't need a man!" type phrases. I know they're posed as compliments, but it makes me feel like the person saying it isn't empathetic. Being single is wonderful for someone with my type of personality, yes. I do require a fair amount of alone time. I do get wrapped up in my own world from time to time. But, you know what else I do? I long to be loved, just like every other human being on the planet. And being in a relationship with someone who loves me would not weaken me.

I'm not single because I'm super strong and "don't need no man." I'm single because I didn't meet my forever-partner in school like all of my close friends did. I didn't stay with someone because he got me pregnant. I'm single because I wanted so much better for myself than what I was getting. I'm single because I never wanted to struggle with someone for years trying to make something work. I'm single because I chose to walk away from situations that no longer served me. I'm single because I don't settle for mediocrity or people for whom I only have lukewarm feelings.

So, don't attribute my singleness to some character trait that puts me above the need for human compassion and love. Just because I've been single for a while doesn't mean I don't have any need for companionship, someone to walk this earth with me; because going it alone all the time eats away at you. I'm strong, but I break. Love isn't a weakness, and I need it just like anyone else does.