Friday, November 21, 2014

Post Surgery Thyroid Removal Post-Op Recovery - Cancer Free!

When I made the decision to go ahead with my partial thyroidectomy, I searched the internet for other people's post-operative experiences so I knew what to expect during recovery. I only found these really awful recovery stories, and I prepared for the worst. Maybe that's ok or that's what I needed to do. But, I think it's only fair to post my experience so far because it's actually been pretty good! 

I hope that if you're finding this blog entry because you're nervous about what's to come for you, that you think of  your thyroid surgery recovery as being on a spectrum of possibilities of recovery. Some people have a really horrendous time, and some people, like me, don't require anything more than regular Ibuprofen and Extra-Strength Tylenol.

NOTE: I do not have cancer.  My nodule came back benign. One of my parathyroids was able to be salvaged, so I will likely not have an issue with calcium absorption. These are some concerns people have after surgery. Look further into them or ask your doctor about it.

Day 1: Immediately after my surgery, I woke up in recovery in awful pain. There's sore throat pain from the trach tube. And then there's incision pain, which stings or burns. And there's a LOT of neck muscular pain from the cutting through your neck muscles in surgery, and probably the stress of positioning your neck for surgery. I wasn't able to articulate this pain because I was still under the stupor of anesthesia. They pumped me full of dilaudid, and I slept for hours, coming in and out of consciousness.

I was admitted for the night because I thought my pain would be as bad as it was when I woke up. I was wrong! The dilaudid certainly stayed in my system and took the edge off, but I knew that I wouldn't need it for longer than the first 24 hours because they didn't have to come back and give me my next dosage for incredibly long periods of time. They would ask, and I'd refuse. The dilaudid did NOT touch the muscle pain. There didn't seem to be a purpose for me to continue to take it. 

The only advice I can give you before your surgery is to gradually step yourself down if you're not used to eating very little or nothing. I was 26 hours without food, and I ended up losing my shit at about 11pm. I had the nurses call my doctor and find out why I was still on a clear liquids only diet. He ended up allowing me to eat, but I was nauseated from the anesthesia still, so I just took apart a sandwich and at the bread slowly. I asked for dilaudid one last time, so I could sleep. And I slept. 

NOTE: EVERYTHING hurts to swallow. Warm liquids hurt the least. 

Day 2: I was sent home. My incision was slightly swollen, but the doctor said it was normal, and actually much better looking than most other patients'. I didn't require any more dilaudid. I didn't request any additional pain medication to go home. I was able to move about like normal, except I couldn't drive because I couldn't freely move my head and neck. I also became tired rather easily, so that was my only complaint for day 2. That night, I took Ibuprofen before bed. I did wake up with a REALLY sore throat, but it was tolerable. I drank some water and went back to sleep.

NOTE: I had to sleep sitting up because my incision and the steri-strips make me feel like I'm choking. I woke up with swollen fingers and hands for some reason.

Day 3: Today! I woke up and my incision was stinging/burning. I took Ibuprofen, and it's manageable. If you're awful with pain, don't hesitate to get your pain meds squared away. I don't like feeling groggy or being bed-ridden, so I find the pain more manageable than the pain medication. Am I sore? Yes, but less sore than a headache. Will I require a nap today? You betcha. My incision is still swollen. I still don't have enough range of motion with my head/neck to drive.

Things to have on hand:
  • Soft, squishy, or liquidy foods (soups, puddings, yogurts, stuffing, mac n' cheese). If you have to care for yourself mostly without much help, prepare these things ahead of time.
  • Something to prop you up in your sleep. If you have a reclining chair, even better.
  • Lots of pillows to position around you. 
  • Ibuprofen or your favorite NSAID
  • Things to read/do in bed or from the couch.
  • Calcium +D vitamins. (This is probably going to be prescribed by your doctor anyway - my Rx was for 500 mg every 8 hours for 1 week.)
  • Stool softener of choice - there's no kind way to describe what anesthesia and painkillers do to your digestive system. 
Good luck to you! Don't panic. You're going to do just fine!
To read about days 4-10 of my post-op recovery, click here.